Tuesday, August 26, 2008

JUDE UML modeling

If you are looking for a UML modeling tool, I'd recommend you check out JUDE. I've played around with their JUDE/Community edition and really liked it. I posted a few feature requests in their forums and they were very receptive and worked with me to make sure they understood what I was asking for.

My UML needs are almost always the same... I have an existing codebase that I want to document. Either I want a package diagram so I can get a feel for the overall system, or I have a set of classes (typically the domain model) that I want to model in a class diagram. JUDE was one of the few tools that was able to reverse-engineer my java source code and let me create the diagrams I wanted. Unfortunately they didn't automatically show me the package dependencies when I dropped them on a class diagram, and they didn't show me generics in the way I found useful. If/when they add these two features, I'll be using it all the time. As it is, it is a great modeling tool.

I see they released a new version in July. I haven't had a chance to try these two features in that version, but I did scan the release notes and don't see any mention of them.

No comments:

Subscribe Now: Feed Icon